The cold and icy conditions of wintertime in Colorado can increase the chances that people will experience slip and fall accidents anywhere – including at work. In fact, as the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports, over the past year, workers compensation claims in the U.S. that were related to injuries from winter slip and fall accidents more than doubled.
Given that these accidents can be as damaging and hurtful as they may be distressing and embarrassing, here are some simple tips to keep in mind when it comes to preventing winter slip and falls at work:
- Walk more slowly – If you are not rushing around and are more deliberate when walking around your workplace, you can reduce the chances that you’ll experience a winter slip and fall accident at work.
- Wear sensible shoes – It’s generally advised that people wear shoes with sufficient traction during the wintertime in order to prevent slip and fall accidents. In contrast, wearing shoes like high heels in wet, slippery winter conditions can increase that chances that winter slip and falls will result in more serious injuries (like, for instance, torn ligaments in ankles and knees).
- Be especially careful when getting in and out of cars – One of the common ways that winter slip and falls happen is when people are shifting their weight and stepping in or out of vehicles. So, just be a little more cautious as you get in and out of vehicles this winter season.
- Also, be especially careful when entering and exiting buildings – Because the flooring by buildings’ entrances can be areas where melting ice or snow accumulates, be especially cautious when entering and leaving office buildings.
- Try to keep your hands free – Instead of carrying items in your hands, consider relying on a bag or backpack so that your hands are free to catch you if you do end up slipping and falling. Being able to catch yourself during a winter slip and fall can help you minimize the injuries you may sustain in these types of workplace accidents.
Denver Workers’ Compensation Attorneys at the Law Office of Steven J. Picardi
Workers who suffer a personal injury on the job need competent medical treatment and compensation to cover their lost wages as a result of their injuries. Because workers’ compensation requirements can be rigorous and confusing for both workers and for self-insured corporations, it is important to obtain legal counsel to help navigate the obstacles.
With more than 30 years of combined workers’ compensation experience, the Denver workers’ compensation attorneys at the Law Office of Steven J. Picardi have extensive knowledge of Colorado workers’ compensation law, strong credentials and a significant record of success that consistently allowed them to effectively defend employers and represent injured employees in all phases of workers’ compensation litigation. Our firm’s lawyers remain abreast of the latest changes in workers’ compensation laws and are ready to use their skills and knowledge to your advantage.
For experienced legal advocacy in defending or filing a workers’ compensation claim, contact the Picardi Law Firm for a consultation by calling (303) 778-8881 or by emailing us using the form at the top of the screen.