Officials at the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) have recently formed a new alliance with the National Center for Transgender Equality (NCTE) in an effort to “foster safer and more healthful American workplaces.”
According to the press release, this new alliance will exist for two years, focusing over this time on:
- Providing opportunities for OSHA officials to speak or appear at conferences, meetings or other events sponsored by the NCTE
- Sharing information on OSHA initiatives, workers’ rights and employers’ responsibilities
- Helping to ensure that transgender workers have access to the appropriate restrooms at work – This will reportedly also involve disseminating OSHA-developed bulletins regarding the recommended best practices for restroom access for transgender workers.
- Providing other safety and health information
- Preventing workplace violence, injuries and deaths.
NCTE Stats Point to Need for Alliance
The OSHA-NCTE alliance has been lauded by many, especially transgender workers who, as research has shown, are often the target of bias, violence and even harassment at work. In fact, as the NCTE has revealed:
- About 55 percent of transgender people surveyed had been fired or laid off as a result of gender bias/discrimination.
- About 22 percent of surveyed individuals stated that they were denied access to the gender-appropriate bathroom while they were working.
More Info on Workers’ Rights & Employer Responsibilities
When it comes to workers’ rights and employers’ responsibilities, according to OSHA:
Workers have a right to a safe workplace. The law requires employers to provide their employees with safe and healthful workplaces. The OSHA law also prohibits employers from retaliating against employees for exercising their rights under the law (including the right to raise a health and safety concern or report an injury).
For more OSHA info regarding workers’ rights, click here. And, please share your thoughts on this new alliance with us on Facebook & Google+.
Denver Workers Compensation Attorney at the Law Office of Steven J. Picardi
If you have been hurt at work, it’s time to contact an experienced Denver workers’ compensation attorney at the Law Office of Steven J. Picardi.
With more than 30 years of combined workers’ compensation experience, our attorneys have extensive knowledge of Colorado workers’ compensation law, strong credentials and a significant record of success. This has helped them to defend employers and represent injured employees in all phases of workers’ compensation litigation. Our firm’s lawyers remain abreast of the latest changes in workers’ compensation laws and are ready to use their skills and knowledge to your advantage.
For experienced legal advocacy in defending or filing a workers’ compensation claim, contact the Picardi Law Firm for a consultation by calling (303) 778-8881 or by emailing us using the form at the top of the screen.