Picking up from where Preventing Workplace Back Injuries with Office Ergonomics (Pt. 1) left off, here we will continue discussing how sedentary workers can minimize their risk of developing workplace back injuries.
While the first part of this blog focused on some of the specific risks these workers face, below, we will point out the ways that these risks of back injuries for sedentary workers can be mitigated and minimized.
Step 2 to Preventing Workplace Back Injuries: Practicing Good Posture
First and foremost, when it comes to reducing the physical stresses that sedentary workers’ put on their backs, practicing and being conscious of good posture will be essential. When it comes to maintaining good posture, people should do their best to try to:
- Keep their spine vertically aligned so that their ears, shoulders, back and hips are within a vertical line (as much as possible)
- Avoid crossing their legs or sitting in any other position that would unbalance their spine for any prolonged period of time
- Not hunch or slouch forward, keeping their shoulders down, relaxed and lightly held back.
Step 3 to Preventing Workplace Back Injuries: Exercising and Using Ergonomic Props
Good posture is just one piece of the ergonomics pie, however, when it comes to preventing workplace back injuries for sedentary workers. Other things that can be critical for these people include:
- Getting up and moving around a bit to stretch their legs
- Doing specific exercises and stretches periodically throughout the day to relieve the physical stress that builds up from sitting for prolonged periods of time
- Using ergonomic “props” like ergonomic office chairs, foot rests and even wrist rests that can help support people and remind them to maintain good posture when sitting.
For office workers who may have a pre-existing back injury, it’s important to discuss your ergonomic needs with your employer so you have the equipment and accommodations you need to avoid intensifying or worsening your back issues and injuries.
Denver Workers’ Compensation Attorneys at the Law Office of Steven J. Picardi
Have you suffered or sustained a workplace back injury? If so, contact the the Denver workers’ compensation attorneys at the Law Office of Steven J. Picardi. With more than 30 years of combined workers’ compensation experience, our trusted and experienced Denver workers’ compensation attorneys have extensive knowledge of Colorado workers’ compensation law, strong credentials and a significant record of success that consistently allowed them to effectively defend employers and represent injured employees in all phases of workers’ compensation litigation.
Our firm’s lawyers remain abreast of the latest changes in workers’ compensation laws and are ready to use their skills and knowledge to your advantage.
Let’s Talk about Your Case and Options – Contact Us Today
For experienced legal advocacy in defending or filing a workers’ compensation claim, contact the Picardi Law Firm. You can set up an initial consultation with us by calling (303) 778-8881 or by emailing us using the contact form at the top of the screen.