Traumatic brain injury (TBI) refers to any condition in which a temporary or permanent brain dysfunction arises due to a violent blow to the head or some object penetrating the skull. While a number of events can result in traumatic brain injuries, when TBIs occur on the job, the following factors or incidents may be to blame:
- Car, truck or other motor vehicle accidents
- Slip and falls (or any falling injury)
- Objects falling onto a worker’s head (which can be of particular concern at construction sites)
- Assault by another co-worker.
In such cases, injured workers will have legitimate workers’ compensation claims and should work with an experienced lawyer to ensure they receive the maximum possible benefits for their injuries and losses.
Traumatic Brain Injury Symptoms
Although some symptoms of TBI will be immediately obvious, in other cases, traumatic brain injury symptoms can take days or even weeks to become apparent. Regardless of how soon or long it takes TBI symptoms to appear, some of the most common signs of traumatic brain injury can include (but are not limited to):
- Loss of consciousness
- Confusion and/or disorientation
- Difficulty concentrating or remembering things
- Dizziness and/or faintness
- Balancing and/or coordination problems
- Nausea and/or vomiting
- Blurred vision, ringing in the ears and/or a bad taste in the mouth
- Mood swings, depression and/or anxiety
- Fatigue, problems sleeping or sleeping an excessive amount of time.
In the worst cases of TBIs that occur at work, employees may also exhibit seizures, clear fluids draining from the ears or nose, slurred speech, extended periods of unconsciousness and/or profound confusion.
Denver Workers’ Compensation Attorneys
With more than 30 years of combined workers’ compensation experience, the Denver workers’ compensation attorneys at the Law Office of Steven J. Picardi have extensive knowledge of Colorado workers’ compensation law, strong credentials and a significant record of success that consistently allowed them to effectively defend employers and represent injured employees in all phases of workers’ compensation litigation. Our firm’s lawyers remain abreast of the latest changes in workers’ compensation laws and are ready to use their skills and knowledge to your advantage.
For experienced legal advocacy in defending or filing a workers’ compensation claim, contact the Picardi Law Firm for a consultation by calling (303) 778-8881 or by emailing us using the form at the top of the screen.