Continuing from Traumatic Brain Injury Facts and Statistics (Part 1), here is some additional important information for workers who may have sustained a mild to moderate TBI on the job. While Part 1 of this blog focused on defining what traumatic brain injury is, how it can happen at work and what the symptoms of TBI are, here in Part 2, we will concentrate on traumatic brain injury statistics. The following TBI statistics, which have been compiled by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, can provide insight into the frequency with which this type of injury occurs in the U.S. on an annual basis.
- More than 1.7 traumatic brain injuries are sustained by Americans each year.
- Nearly 1 in every 3 injury-related deaths that occurs in the U.S. is caused or accompanied by traumatic brain injury.
- Approximately 75 percent of all TBIs involve concussions or other mild forms of traumatic brain injuries.
- Regardless of age, males tend to sustain more traumatic brain injuries than females.
- TBIs cost more than $76 billion each year when considering the costs of medical treatment and lost productivity.
- While falls cause the most cases of traumatic brain injuries each year (about 35 percent of all new TBIs sustained in the U.S.), motor vehicle accidents are the second leading cause of traumatic brain injuries in the U.S., causing more than 17 percent of all new cases each year.
Denver Workers’ Compensation Attorneys
If you or a loved one has sustained a traumatic brain injury while working, you will likely be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, losses and permanent disabilities (if applicable). With more than 30 years of combined workers’ compensation experience, the Denver workers’ compensation attorneys at the Law Office of Steven J. Picardi have extensive knowledge of Colorado workers’ compensation law, strong credentials and a significant record of success that consistently allowed them to effectively defend employers and represent injured employees in all phases of workers’ compensation litigation. Our firm’s lawyers remain abreast of the latest changes in workers’ compensation laws and are ready to use their skills and knowledge to your advantage.
For experienced legal advocacy in defending or filing a workers’ compensation claim, contact the Picardi Law Firm for a consultation by calling (303) 778-8881 or by emailing us using the form at the top of the screen.